Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Current books

I have this bad habit of reading more than one book at a time. And working on more than one project at a time. It drives my husband crazy, but frankly, I like it. When I get bored with one thing, I can work on something else until I need a break from that. So, to explain, here's what I'm reading right now.

The Little Black Book of Stories by A.S. Byatt.

I started reading this because we're reading a book by her for our book group. It's kind of odd. I didn't really like the first story, and felt a little angry that I had wasted that much time reading it. The only redeeming virtue was a little nugget in the last paragraph. But last night I read another one of the stories. I much preferred this one. Because I did, I will continue reading.



I am also reading Slave by Mende Nazer. This is non-fiction, and is thus a major departure for me. It's not very often that I pick up non-fiction. But I was inspired by a girl that I work with. Her book group reads a lot of memoirs, and I decided that I needed to branch out. So far I'm not very far into it, but I haven't had a ton of time to read in the last week. More on that later. Really, all I've read is a short description of how her villiage was attacked by another group (I don't remember the name) and how all of the children were abducted. Then, she goes into her life before the attack. That's all I've read about so far. It seems very realistic and heartfelt. I am enjoying it.




On occasion I pull out this one, McDonald's: Behind the Arches. It's something I picked up at work. I love McDonald's, so I thought I might learn a little more about it. The story is really fascinating.





And for work, I'm currently reading two. Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham & Donald O. Clifton. Also, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey. Yep, that's of Franklin Covey fame. Great books, both. I am loving them. Can't wait to read more by the authors.

No comments: