Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Normalcy

I got to thinking about the word "normal" the other day. What does normal really mean? Dictionary.com defines it as:

1.conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
2.serving to establish a standard.

OK, so that helps, but here's the part that really got me going:

3. Psychology.
a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
b. free from any mental disorder; sane.

HA! Do any of you feel like you fit into that category? I don't. You know me, the girl who doesn't eat blue foods that don't occur that color in nature! (Really, is that natural?)

I think I got started on the normal kick because the student I hired went to the same high school as I did. I asked her if she had any pre-conceived ideas about me from knowing me in high school. She doesn't. (Whew! That's good!)

But I spent the bulk of my years in high school and middle school just praying to be normal. I was short. I was geeky. I wore glasses. I had braces. I wasn't popular. I didn't wear the right clothes. My hobbies were different. And I could go on.

I'm turning 30 soon. And I've come to figure out that my lack of normalcy is what makes me who I am. I feel like I'm really starting to come into my own.
Yeah, I'm short. Guess what? I get to shop in the petite section. I was geeky, and still am. It got me the job I have that I love. And I work with a bunch of other "so-called" geeks. I wore glasses, and I still do. I get to see all the beautiful things in this world. I had braces and now I have a million dollar smile that I don't hesitate to flash. I wasn't popular, but now I have a lot of really great friends that I know I can count on. And I didn't meet most of them until I was out of high school. I didn't wear the right clothes, but now I know what looks good on me. My hobbies were different, but now I use those hobbies to create some really great stuff.

So I guess what I'm saying here is that you really should embrace that about you that isn't normal. Who wants to be normal if you have to sacrifice what you really are. Normal is not for me. I like being a few degrees off cool. I think I live a more interesting life because of it!

No comments: