Saturday, May 10, 2008

The big three-oh OH MY GOODNESS!

Yep. It's time to admit it. I'm 30. The last few hours of my 29th year were spent sleeping. I woke up this morning to face the irrefutable fact. I am, indeed, 30.

So, to honor this momentous occasion, here are 30 things for which I am grateful.

1- A healthy, beautiful daughter. I didn't realize what I had until this year. My friend Amy has 4 beautiful children. Two of which have had SERIOUS health problems within the first couple of years of their lives. Laurie has a son with health issues too numerous to mention. Carrie has an autistic daughter. To you three, I take off my hats. Raising this munchkin is often more than I can handle. The three of you handle the situations you're handed with grace and style. I salute you.

2- A loving husband. We have our issues. But when it comes down to it, I know he's got my back. He's a provider. He's gentle. He's loving. He puts up with all my neurosis. And he loves me just the same. It's amazing, but the good ones do still exist.

3- Family. Having lived without them during a self-imposed exile, I now truly appreciate it. For all of you that got ignored during those 10 years, I'm sorry. Just know how much I love you and how I love spending time together now.

4- Friends. Take a look at my list of blogs I read. A lot of those are really good friends. Some of them will get direct mentions in this post. If you don't, don't feel bad. I love you all or I wouldn't spend the time reading your blogs, calling you, emailing you, etc.

5- Amy. You're my rock. You're everything I want to be and all that I've never had the courage to be. Thanks for always being there and for being a great sounding board. You're the sister I never had.

6-Carrie. We lost each other for 20 years. I love that we've been able to pick up where things left off. And I love how our relationship has grown. I'm always here.

7- Christianne. How did we miss all the similarities until this year? I'm so glad you're around for me to bounce things off of at work. And I mean that literally and figuratively! ;)

8- Jodi. What do I say about you? I am lucky to have met someone like you that I'm related to through marriage. We've been friends for so long. And even though we don't talk too much (or enough, for that matter) you still put up with all my goofiness. And now we've got you in blogland. I miss you!

9- Deb. Here's a raise of the glass to blog friends. You've got it going on girl. Keep up the good work!

10-Crocheting. It's gotten me through a lot of tough times. I'm grateful that I'm able to take out my frustrations and my joys and create beautiful things at the same time.

11-The ability to read. Without it I wouldn't know half of what I know.

12- Technical Writing. This is probably a strange one to mention, but here it is. I'm in a job that I love. It's not the conventional job that I always thought I'd be in, but it sure works for me. I write directions for people to follow. And I work with some really great people.

13- Lazy weekend naps. There's something to be said for having your chores done and taking that snooze that you feel is well-earned.

14- Rain. I love the sound and the smell. And if I'm the only one in the house and it's a rainy night. That much the better. Add some thunder and lightning and I'm in heaven.

15- Chocolate chip cheesecake. Yum. Need I say more?

16- Hugs and kisses. I love 'em. Can't get enough. Kisses from my little munchkin are the sweetest of all.

17- Mornings where you can wake up slowly. I love the slow resurfacing from sleep. I don't like being vaulted out by the alarm clock!

18- Good people in the town where I live. I just love that there are still people here who will take care of you even if they don't know you very well. There's a girl at the gas station I frequent that keeps a carton of these donuts that the hubby likes in the freezer for me. When I feel like it, I go in and pick them up. In a big city, people don't do that kind of thing.

19- Talented people. I love spending time looking at other people's art. Whether it's a well-known, established artist, or someone on etsy. I find inspiration in all of it.

20- Pictures. I never knew my dad's mom. She died when I was two. Through pictures I'm able to see part of her life.

21- Quiet moments. I love them. Most moms do! :)

22- DVRs. How great is it that you can watch your favorite shows on your time and not have to worry about getting a tape in the vcr?

23- Organizational tools. From my planner at work to my wish list on Amazon. All of these things help to keep me together. I can't keep everything in my head, so being able to keep track of them in other ways is so helpful.

24- Dishwashers. Who wants to spend time standing at the kitchen sink when there's so much more fun stuff to do?

25- Goofy moments with the hubby. I love it when we're both on the same page and can share those crazy moments that make us laugh so hard we almost lose it!

26- Listening to my daughter laugh so hard she can't catch her breath. There's nothing better than little kid giggles.

27- Free podcasts. There's so much great information out there. Look what you can learn. It's amazing.

28- Insurance. With everything that has gone on already this year, we'd be in trouble without it. We'd make it, but none of us would like it. Thankfully, we've met our deductible. Insurance can be a pain, but it's nice to work full-time and have benefits.

29- Purple. I love the color. I love things that are this color. Purple's not just my favorite color, it's a way of life!

30- Completing another wonderful year of life. I never thought I'd make it through some of what I've been through in the past 5 years. But I'm stronger and a better person for it. Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. I love you all.

2 comments:

cmb said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, my dear! I'm so fortunate to have you in my life and to be able to count you as one of my great friends. You are so insightful and I love that you appreciate so many small things in life. Cheers to 30 years and many, many more!

Four Dorks said...

Great list! I wish I was half the person you thought I was!I really cherish knowing you and take full responsibility for the unmentionable 20 years. Here's to our next 30 years!