Monday, September 10, 2007

September 11th

As usual there's been a lot in the news about the anniversary of the attacks on the US. I got to thinking about it again this week. I've watched the date approaching with some fear. As always, I hope that this will not be the year that someone gets the bright idea to attack again. I understand from a friend in Florida that the security at the airports is much higher than usual. It would take an immense amount of planning to get something like that through.

I can't help but remember that day. I remember being at work and my mom calling me to tell me that my brother had landed at the Logan airport in Boston. When he and his co-workers got off the plane, airport staff was waiting there to meet them. They were not allowed to stop and use the bathroom or get a cup of coffee. They were only allowed to pick up their luggage. Other than that, they were only told that the airport was being closed. On the way to baggage claim, several people were trying to get through to relatives on their cell phones. By this time, the first tower was down and there was a lot of difficulty getting through. When they finally heard what had happened, they were all shocked. Tim and his co-workers rented a car and drove back to Chicago.

I'm thankful that I knew where my family was that day. And most of all, I'm thankful for everything I have now. Thank you to all of those who fight every day for our freedom.

No comments: