Thursday, August 23, 2007

I was called a Designing Women freak

I do like the show. If you read this, you know that. I watch it because I have memories of watching it with my mother. A recent show dealt with the topic of women being vulnerable. The ladies were taking self defense classes. Julia had this to say:

You know, I think that women are just about ready to say, "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. If you come up to us with a gun or a knife, you better be prepared to use it right then and there because we are not going anywhere with you. And we are not going to be dug up, raped and mutilated, months later on some rural road. We are going to be prepared to stand and fight - with dignity - in the parking lot and the shopping centers and the driveways of America. But buddy, you better be prepared to do the same because even at the very least, one of us is going to be walking funny."

Now you tell me that's not empowering! I love Julia and her rants. I love that she takes a stand on a topic that she's passionate about it. Sure, she goes overboard some of the time, but she has passion.

Mary Jo is a little less out there than Julia, but she's still feisty. Here are her thoughts:

I want a movie where some woman stands up and beats the tar out of Frankenstein or Jason, or Freddie Krueger or whatever and does it before her friends get killed. I want a movie where a woman with a gun knows how to use it and doesn't let some man wrench it out of her wimpy little wrist. I want a movie where the hero is Charlene, not Charles Bronson.

Again, passionate commitment to a topic that is meaningful. All the women out there that are taken advantage of, abused, attacked, and hurt - it's time. We can stand up and fight. Learn some self-defense techniques. Learn where pressure points are and how to use them to your advantage. Be prepared when walking to your vehicle. Don't let anyone take advantage of you. We're all smarter than that. Let's be together on this.
AMMENDMENT: Hubby says that if someone is trying to steal your purse, you should give it to them. Don't fight them. He's right. I was talking about if someone was trying to abduct you. Oh yeah, don't forget to scream as loudly as you can!

No comments: