Sunday, August 26, 2007

Munchkin Drama

It's been a hectic weekend for us. Munchkin woke up at 7 Saturday morning. She had a glass of juice while sitting in the chair with me. By 8, hubby was up. Munchkin walked into the kitchen by her highchair and proceeded to puke...all over the place. I didn't think too much of it as she'd started coughing right before that. I figured she had a catch in her throat and in the midst of trying to catch her breath, she threw up.

So she had breakfast and hung around some more. She even ate some of a bologna sandwich I was having. Then she went down for a nap. When she got up, she seemed fine. Although she had taken a 4 hour nap (a bit unusual for her to sleep that long) and was refusing food. All of a sudden, while sitting in the livingroom, she threw up again. I called the emergency room since she was now refusing fluids as well. While I was on the phone with them, she threw up again - this time on me. So, despite what the nurse told me, hubby and I decided to take her in.

Here begins the drama. She doesn't care for men she doesn't know. My brother is almost too much for her. She did not like the male EMT that came in AT ALL. Big tears, lots of crying, screaming, and making detailing her condition difficult. Once he got his information and left, the doctor came in. Another man. He had to listen to her heart and take her temp. This was not OK. He tried to listen to my heart first to show that it wouldn't hurt. She pushed the stethescope away from me. She was not having it. Then he had to take her temp. From this exam he decided that he needed to take blood. Oh goodness. Major wailing and gnashing of teeth. I thought the worst of it was over. But no, then she had to have two suppositories. OK, so she's already screaming and terrified and looking at me wondering why I won't save her, and you want to put those two things WHERE? God bless Louise Coull for being such a trooper!

Within 20 minutes of the suppositories she was a new child. She was finally able to keep fluids down. We were dispatched to Wal-Mart with a prescription and a cranky child. We filled the prescription, did some shopping and came home. The medication for the nausea makes her very sleepy. Somehow this did not stop her from being up from 3-5:30 this morning. Ah, the joys of motherhood. :)

No comments: