Sunday, July 29, 2007

Laughing out loud kind of funny

I always forget how much I enjoyed shows like Designing Women until they come back on in syndication. For example, I was watching an episode yesterday and laughed at this exchange.

Mary Jo and Charlene are sitting in the office. Mary Jo is reading a decorating magazine and lamenting the fact that this architect, who obviously has a ton of money, has had his room decorated in a style defined as "delightfully minimalist". She says, "You know what I say? I say it's just a room with a sleeping bag in it and who would want it?" Charlene's response made me laugh:

"I know what you mean. It's like every art museum you go to has that one painting of a big colored dot. It obviously cost thousands of dollars and all these artistic rich people ooh and aah over it, but to me, it's just a dot. And I tell you something else. I've often thought, deep down in their hearts, all those artistic rich people, in the cool gray dawn of morning, they know it's just a dot too."

I'm not an artistic rich person. But on occasion, I do like dot paintings.

No comments: