Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Trains and numbness


As any loyal reader knows, I'm watching Designing Women on Ion. I used to watch the series with my mom as a child. There's a line that I've thought was always amazing, but couldn't remember where it came from. One of tonight's episodes used it.


The episode is about Charlene and Bill. I'm not going to bore those of you who aren't interested with the storyline. However, when Bill decides he can no longer see Charlene, she says, "I've been run over by this train before. And you know what? It almost doesn't hurt anymore. It just feels numb."


Isn't that amazing? I think it's one of the most profound things I've heard in a while. And I've often felt that way. I think we all have our trains. I'm a very trusting person. I want to believe the best in people. All the time. I think, though, that our trains don't usually result in numbness. Or if they do, it takes years. I haven't come to that point yet. In wanting to believe the best, I put my heart out there. And it's been trampled many times. Somehow, I always put myself out there again. We're all broken.

No comments: