Thursday, July 26, 2007

Profound

At work we have the option of using the Franklin Covey organizer system. I love the planner. I use it daily. At the top of each page there is a quote. I suppose they are meant to be motivational. Often, they mean nothing to me, but there have been quite a few gems included. For example, the quote from yesterday was:

It requires wisdom to understand wisdom; the music is nothing if the audience is deaf.

Walter Lippmann

This relates to so much more than wisdom. I think of marriages (both those that are healthy and those that have gone wrong). If one spouse cannot understand the other, the marriage will fail. But if the audience is able to hear what is being said, verbally or non-verbally, the marriage will be a great success.


The same can be said for employer/employee relationships. And parent/children. I cringe when I think how deaf I was in my teenage years with my parents. They had so much wisdom to share, and I chose to ignore it. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for offering that wisdom. And thank you for continuing to offer it now. I hope that I am a better receiver.

No comments: